Lineberger Park has been a community landmark for the citizens of Gastonia and Gaston County since the late 1920’s, providing both passive and active recreation opportunities for several generations. As Gastonia’s first park, Lineberger Park was the beginning of public recreation in the area. Located just seven blocks from downtown Gastonia, Lineberger Park began with a generous land gift from the Lineberger family, which was then matched by an equal property acquisition by the City. Today it consists of 18.5 beautiful acres containing both mature trees and open lawn space. Early work to the park was accomplished through the depression-era Works Progress Administration. From 2005 to 2012, improvements have included a privately-funded project, plus three phases of construction to renovate aging facilities and provide new amenities to meet current needs. Lineberger Park continues to be a favorite spot for family picnics and a place to bring children to play.
Lineberger Park fronts Garrison Boulevard and is accessed by the bordering streets of Chestnut to the east and Avon to the west. The park is naturally bisected by Avon Creek. On the eastern node there is ample parking for visitors in the linear lot along Chestnut Street. There is a trailhead for the Avon/Catawba Creek Greenway with a paved extension which circles a prominent Gaston County Vietnam War Memorial midway through the park; restroom building with water fountains; one large shelter; two small shelters; a gazebo; and large playground. The western node, as accessed via Avon Street, has adjacent parking to facilities, and is home to a miniature train amusement ride; a ticket booth/restroom building; an outdoor, lighted concrete basketball court with stadium seating; one large picnic shelter; two small picnic shelters; a sprayground; an outdoor pool with a slide, lazy river and other water features plus pool house with showers, dressing space, restrooms, and a concession area. The park is also encompassed by a series of paved walking trails as an addition to the adjacent greenway.