Mount Holly, which was the beginning of Gaston’s Textile Empire, was first called Woodlawn, since the post office was designated in that way. However, when the town was incorporated in 1879, it was named Mount Holly after the mill which had been established there by A. Rhyne and D. E. Rhyne. The town has a well-developed retail shopping center. Mount Holly is located almost on the banks of the Catawba River, the eastern boundary of Gaston County.
- Street: 400 E. Central Ave.
- City: Mount Holly, NC